FUNIBER and I

* Update - Since my last posting,  I have decided not to pursue my studies with FUNIBER.  I scoured through the internet to find options, and came to the conclusion, that personally, due to the uncertainty of being able to use the degree in the US, as I teach at the post-secondary level, it wouldn't work out in my favor.  However, you can view the sites that I reviewed below to come to your own conclusion.  Best of luck!

http://www.spaniards.es/foros/2008/10/26/funiber-masters-distancia-alguien-lo-conoce

http://67.196.5.67/cases/funiber--ciudad-de-mexico-distrito-federal-mexico_58448.html

http://cvc.cervantes.es/foros/leer_asunto1.asp?vCodigo=33712

http://blogs.funiber.org/formacion-profesores/i-found-the-experience-extremely-challenging-interesting-and-unique/

For the last three years I've been doing a dance with FUNIBER. FUNIBER is an organization that contracts with Spanish speaking universities to offer degrees online for students around the world. FUNIBER is not a university. It's an association that contracts with universities in Latin America and the US to offer classwork and tutors towards the conferral of a degree at the Masters and Doctoral level. They also offer post secondary certificates. At the end of the program the student receives a diploma from the university that conferred the degree.

I considered them years ago for the Masters degree. They offered a Masters degree in Teaching English as a Second Language. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around it because I thought to myself, as a US resident, how would it look to potential employers that I received a degree in Teaching English as a Second Language from a Spanish speaking university? So I didn't go with them. I started a certificate program in the same subject with a university in my area. However, the concept of the program is what kept me coming back.

In addition they offered a Masters degree in Teaching Spanish as a Second Language. Now this is something I couldn't get in the US. Sure there are a lot of Applied Linguistic degrees, but none that cater specificially to teaching Spanish as a Second Language. In the end I did not choose them because I was accepted by the University of Granada to get a degree in Spain that was at least $2,000 cheaper than FUNIBER.

But I'm now at the PhD level. Nowhere in the US can I find a suitable program that fits my needs. I can't relocate to go to school. By the way, Georgetown has a program in Spanish Linguistics. But like I said I can't leave my area for a graduate degree. I also couldn't fathom spending 4 years learning about Spanish literature in the universities in my area. Don't get me wrong, I love reading but enough already! I want a program that teaches me how to teach a language, not study Sor Juana and write a 300 page thesis on her. BORING! Seriously, that's not what I want to spend my time doing. So the online, research degree doctorate program was the way to go for me.

Traditional academic rhetoric says go to the top 10 US universities for Spanish if you want to guarantee a tenure track position as a research institution. Isn't that ironic? Research Spanish at an English speaking institution in order to get a job teaching Spanish? I think for foreign languages it is worthy that the professor live or study in an actual country where the language is spoken as an official language. Who better else to teach the language? You have experience with it and can add the cultural component to your lessons. I know of many Latin American professors that received their undergraduate degrees from their native countries and come to the US and get their doctoral degree. I guess that's the same as me moving to Spain and getting my PhD in English language and literature.

To my coworkers and fellow language professors going with FUNIBER may be a gamble. What about your job prospects? How will a university react knowing you got your degree online using the research method instead of the traditional route? Well, what I have to say is this. I've taught Spanish and ESOL at public high schools, the community college, private for-profit universities and a traditional four-year liberal arts college. In all, it's the same thing. I like teaching and I like teaching languages. I think for-profits and community colleges may be more receptive towards a non traditional route. As for a research university I'm not so sure. They are more invested in saving their brand, the traditional program. Anything different may be seen as a threat and therefore they may not be as open to accepting scholars who have studied this way. I say, you have to determine what you want out of a program. Talk to the deans in your area that offer traditional programs and be open to their feed back. Sometimes ignorance is what feeds the fury.

Moneywise, I like FUNIBER. The doctoral degree costs a little over $10,000. A traditional program in Spain costs around 700 Euros a year. A traditional program in my state may cost about $7,000 a year. So, FUNIBER fits this cheap educator's budget.

Comments

  1. Hi. I was reading about FUNIBER. The good thing is they offer an european official degree with a spanish university, and as you've said it is budget friendly ;)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still working on a doctorate through FUNIBER? My situation is almost the same as yours in that I need to work on a doctorate in Spanish, but I cannot leave my home because I'm already teaching year round. I recently learned of FUNIBER, and it sounds like a great opportunity, but I haven't found anyone else who has gone through the doctoral program that can attest to its validity/quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since updated my post, and no, I am not pursuing a degree with them. Another alternative might be the University of South Africa. It's even cheaper than FUNIBER and there are many US professionals teaching who use these credentials.

      http://www.unisa.ac.za/default.asp?Cmd=ViewContent&ContentID=145

      Best of luck,

      Delete
  3. Hi, I too saw Funiber as a great opportunity since I am currently teaching. With the university of Grenada, did you go to Spain or was it online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Spain. You can find out more about the program below:

      http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/dms/consejerias-exteriores/eeuu/cursosverano/granada.pdf

      Best of luck,

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much for your post!! I am currently looking at FUNIBER degree as well... I am thinking about starting their Master in Spanish program online. I think I am starting next month but I am a little afraid about not being able to use that degree to teach in Community Colleges. Do community colleges accept these degrees? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first step would be to find out about who they are using to evaluate the degree once it comes back to the US. See my post on "Títulos Propios". According to a blog I read about an American that had studied through FUNIBER for his master's http://blogs.funiber.org/formacion-profesores/i-found-the-experience-extremely-challenging-interesting-and-unique/
      the accrediating agency that approved his credits, would not be recognizable in my state, but it seems to have worked in Texas.

      Best of luck,

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    Right now I am applying to FUNIBER because it is my cheapest option, but I am afraid to go through the two years master degree just to find out they are not accredited in USA. They told me that I will be getting the degree from the International University in Puerto Rico and that is accredited here in USA. I am interested in Knowing in about the University of Granada. how much did you pay? what are the requirements? how long didi it take? are they acredited in USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's you budget? Depending on how much you want to spend, I might be able to send you some more options. Feel free to take a look around my blog as well, as I have listed many throughout the years.

      Best of luck,

      Delete
    2. Hello World Language Enthusiast,
      I identified myself with just about everything you said here. Probably everything (but I couldn't state it for sure as I didn't read all the blog's links yet). I was about to enroll for FUNIBER when I came across your blog.
      Here in Brazil they (FUNIBER) says that in the U.S. their degree is valid without having to go through WES or any other NACES approved Credential Evaluation organization.

      QUESTION: is that true? Can I get my certificate at the end and arrive in the U.S. (I'm a citizen) and get a job teaching ESL and/or Spanish right away with their double program (explaining, instead of the regular 2 yr program, you study 3yrs, as the core courses are the same, and do both, the Masters for Teaching ESL and the Teaching Spanish one)? PLEASE HELP. PS: I can help you improve your Portuguese, if you ever need it.
      The reason why I want to get a masters in language here in Brazil is b/c the prices are "Brazilian" as well (so that the population can pay for it). Ex: total tuition for the program, if you pay it at once, of app. R$8000 (that is less than US$4000), if you get the 50% "scholarship". FOR THE WHOLE PROGRAM!!!! And additional RS2000 (less than US$1000) if you do both, ESL and Spanish. Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers from Brazil. The world cup has been keeping the whole country mobilized, indeed, almost stopped here.

      Delete
    3. OH, please also tell me, is what FUNIBER says true? That "in the U.S. their degree is valid without having to go through WES or any other NACES approved Credential Evaluation organization." (because in Brazil we'd have to ask for validation with MEC - Ministerio da Educacao e Cultura).

      Delete
    4. Ola Elisa!

      I think you have some great questions. I am a US citizen and have a foreign degree. Even when I am applying for jobs in my home country I still have to apply for foreign accreditation. I use WES. And this can be costly! While I appreciate my education, it's a headache...well, if you change and apply for many academic jobs like I do!

      The only way that you wouldn't have to use WES or any other credential evaluation, is if their plans (years earlier) to affiliate with a university in Puerto Rico managed to go through, and university in Puerto Rico (as a US territory) issues the transcript. I am not sure if this happened. I know there were some talks about affiliating with a university in Puerto Rico back when I was interested in pursuing a degree with them. But, to be honest, I don't know if this happened or if this is the case.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
  6. Hello World Language Enthusiast,

    I am on the same route you were on, to pursue a Masters in teaching Spanish as a Foreign language. I already have my bachelors in Spanish Education in the U.S. and am currently teaching. I am considering the same program you mentioned in Spain. (Although, I would prefer the track that occurs in Madrid, as opposed to Granada). I am wondering how successful you were in getting your Spanish master's degree to transfer here? I have called my state's board of ed. I understand that the degree will have to be processed by an agency like WES afterward, but I am wondering if there is some way that I can get the program pre-approved so that I know that I am not wasting time and money on a degree that won't be accepted.

    I wanted to ask you about your experience, specifically with the program you did in Spain.

    Any advice you are able to give is much appreciated. I found your blog extremely helpful, and it was your comments that got me researching the foreign degree route to begin with.

    Thank you so much!

    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I've responded to other posts to say that the Spanish Embassy in Washington, D.C. already had an agreement with WES and certain state departments of education. I would say maybe check with them to voice any concerns you may have about it.

      Thank you for your kind words about my blog! Please, stop by again!

      Delete
  7. He leido el blog, estoy postulando a Funiber, pero ahora luego de la informacion entregada tengo mis dudas, al igual que ustedes no quiero perder mi dinero ya que los estudios no se pierden, pero lamentablemente necesitamos el Master para seguir perfeccionandonos, la pregunta es, vale la pena invertir en Funiber para el Master, si se hace la acreditacion atraves de WES es reconocida en USA.Espero alguien puedad aclarar mi duda. gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por visitar mi blog,
      Desafortunadamente, no tengo las respuestas a tus preguntas. Pero entiendo bien las dudas.

      Delete
  8. I am looking into their doctoral programs. I am trying to look for something affordable and good for me. Do you think it would be okay to do this program with Funiber? They told me I can accredited in Puerto Rico which would count here in the US. I'm not sure. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I think you have great questions. I wish I could answer them for you. However, I can tell you what helped me make my decision. I researched people who had the jobs and positions I wanted. I did not find one professional at K-12 or college levels in the US with credentials obtained in a degree program from an institution with an agreement with FUNIBER.

      Having said that, it doesn't mean that people don't have them and aren't working, it just means I couldn't find them when I did my research.

      New programs always face heavier scrutiny, which is normal. It takes a long time to build up a solid reputation and sometimes even longer for other institutions and establishments to recognize them as well.

      I work in traditional schools and quickly realized that I needed traditional credentials. Therefore, I had to go with a more traditional instituition and degree. This may not be the case for you.

      I have not found much online from those who have successfully completed their educations at FUNIBER and who have gone on to work at US schools. If anyone has, please contact me, I'd love to do a guest blog post or interview, as people would love to know about your experience!

      I found this post:
      http://community.actfl.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=439&MID=2940#bm13


      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. Hola! Quizás este enlace de luces acerca del tema
    https://www.deac.org/UploadedDocuments/Public-Notices/Denial/030718_UNINI_public_notice.pdf

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts