Bilingual Special Education

As a foreign language teacher, the students I find in my classroom are unique in their abilities and backgrounds. More and more, with the inclusion model for special education, students with varying abilities are being mainstreamed into the non special education courses. What's a language teacher who has not been trained in special education to do? Well, George Washington University offers an online graduate certificate in Bilingual Special Education . Maybe this might help, maybe not. As a cheapo, this certificate program would not fit into my budget! One credit costs $1,113. Did they forget they are marketing to teachers? I don't care if it is GW, that is over $3,000 a class. My word! The price of this program is not for me. Would it work for you? I'll let you be the judge!

Update!  George Washington University has changed their online graduate certificate to a masters or graduate certificate in Special Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners. 

However, if your cheap like me, check out Western New Mexico's online MA in Interdisciplinary Studies online degree. You pick 2-3 disciplines. You could "major" in Bilingual Education and Elementary or Secondary Education. It's not the same as GW's program, but it's something if you are at least interested in bilingual ed. Plus each class is a little over $400, New Mexico resident or not, as long as you don't take over 6 credits a semester. This restriction does not apply to the summertime. Go WNMU!

Comments

Popular Posts