Professional Development: Cuba: Then and Now, A Workshop for Educators

I just attended a teacher workshop titled, Cuba: Then and Now, A Workshop for Educators offered by the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill.

We had lectures on music and immigration from Cuba to the United States.  Some of the conflicting policies for Cuban immigration were discussed as well.  Having working in immigration law offices for part of my career, I had first-hand experience in how Cubans have been treated in the eyes of immigration versus everyone else.

My favorite lecture was on Afro-Cuban music.  I love music and the ability to learn the various instruments and make music was right up my alley.

I hated to see the end of the day.  However, as always it must come.  As a side note, whenever I go to an institute, I always make sure to check out the surrounding events in the community that are related to the topic. It makes my trip more than memorable and I learn even more.  The city of Chapel Hill had an Afro-Haitian dance class in the community.  Unfortunately, I was unable to attend due to a scheduling conflict, but I wholeheartedly recommend that participants in workshops scour the community for related activities.  I have done it before and continue to do so.

Comments

Popular Posts