Language Maintenence in a Rural New City

Greetings!

I hope all is well.  Today, my post will be rather brief.  Again, I have been on hiatus, busy with job and school changes.  I am in my last year of graduate school!  Yay!  So, I have been immersed in my field of study and working and being a full-time graduate student.

My job(s), the original one that brought me to this rural area, and the subsequent ones that I have been able to find after the original one elapsed, have allowed me to think about how to maintain language when one is in a place that language practice with natives is not readily available?

Because I'm no longer teaching language, I am out of practice!  I have no language community that I belong to and my language skills have diminished.  So what's the fix?  Here are some of my recommendations:

1.  Find time to invest in your language maintenance.
That's easier said than done, but not impossible.  Seek out activities that you like to do, then find people who, "speak your language" to do them with.  In most areas, there are groups of people who try to stick to their homelands as much as possible.  You may find them in ethnic restaurants or specialty stores.  Colleges and universities in your area may host events to honor the culture that speaks the language you are after.  Community organizations that cater to the basic needs of people like, shelters, food pantries, churches, will have a greater idea of the inner workings of your community and where to find people who speak your language.


2. Use Technology
Facebook and LinkedIn have special interest groups that you can join to allow you to reach out to people with your interests.  And if they don't, make one and invite people.

3. Take classes
Another way, if available, is to take classes in your language.  Even if the classes are below your level, you can still use that time to develop your language skills.

4. Travel
If possible, travel to where the language you are interested in is spoken.  Make friends and use technology to keep in touch.  I have done so and have multilingual friends all over the world.

5.  Offer conversation classes
The best way to learn something, is to be responsible for teaching it to someone.  This is a wonderful way in order to be the "expert" in a language that may not be offered in your area, and to keep you up to speed.

Happy Language Learning and Maintenance!

Comments

Popular Posts