Graduate Study Abroad for Credit: Living and Studying in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil

I just completed a trip to Salvador da Bahia in Brazil through Stephen F. Austin State University.  The program was eye-opening and I really learned a lot about myself and how I want to develop my career and study abroad agenda in the future.  Firstly, I am a graduate student in a PhD program in Romance Languages.  My university does not offer Portuguese, but I began my studies with Portuguese during my undergraduate studies at Cornell University and desired to continue.  While searching for a program,  I desired to continue to study Portuguese, but could not find a program that offered graduate level coursework. At the graduate level, I had previously studied Portuguese at the  University of Central Florida  where I also received a graduate certificate in the Teaching of English as a Foreign Language.  I had also been a participant in the Portuguese Summer Program in 2013 where I took a graduate Portuguese class. However, Stephen F. Austin State University offered graduate credit for their Portuguese program abroad and I applied and was accepted.

For my itinerary, I decided to stay an extra week after Stephen F. Austin's program was over where I met up with a former colleague in Rio and we rented an apartment from AirBNB.

I began my trip, flying from Indianapolis, IN to Charlotte, NC and had a layover before I boarded the plane to Rio de Janeiro and later Salvador da Bahia, Brazil. I arrived in Salvador at night and met up with the Stephen F. Austin State University's group.  We stayed in a hotel, had an orientation by the director of ACBEU and in the morning, we awoke to breakfast and to meet our host families.

I was paired with another graduate student from Mexico and Texas, Ana.  Our host mom was a teacher, and a mother of two grown children.  She lived in an apartment building near downtown Salvador.  What was most interesting to me was that the apartments still retain a maid entrance and a main entrance.  As a middle class woman, she had a black maid who cooked for us.

I had class everyday for the advanced/superior Portuguese speakers.  Our teacher had been to the US before and we talked about culture and expectations.  We walked to class everyday.

Comments

Popular Posts