Distance learning graduate-level Portuguese language course at Stephen F. Austin

I just finished taking a graduate level course, titled HSP 510 Brazilian Portuguese Language from Stephen F. Austin State University.  Stephen F. Austin is located in Texas; however, I am not. I live in Georgia.  The class is a part of their MA in Hispanic Studies degree.  I was not interested in completing the degree, because I am a PhD student at another university.  However, I wanted to add Portuguese to my degree program.   I found the director, Dr. Paul-Urena, to be very helpful in helping me register and attend the class.  I wish that more universities would give access to non-traditional and other students wanting to study Portuguese who don't have the privilege of having Portuguese language courses in their areas.

The course was easy to access. We used Blackboard.  Every day that we had class, I was able to see the students in Nacogdoches, TX on my screen who were undergraduates as well as graduate students.  When I wanted to answer a question, or ask a question, I had the option to press a button that would allow my instructor to know that I wanted to contribute.  Students in Texas could hear me and respond to my questions.

Yes, at times there were technical difficulties.  There were 5 distance learning students and we got kicked off, but were able to log back on without too much fuss.  Our instructor communicated with us  online and via email and we had to complete our final online as well.  In order to participate I needed a headset with a microphone.

I would definitely recommend this course to anyone with advanced beginning Portuguese skills.  As a non-resident of Texas, the tuition was a bit pricey, but I used my financial aid from my home institution to pay for it.  In my opinion, more universities should offer online language courses in languages besides Spanish and French.  They should also be available to higher-level students; as the current pattern seems to be that courses are offered at the elementary level, and that's it.

Ate lego gente!  Good luck on your future Portuguese studies!

Comments

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future...
    cantonese lesson hong kong

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts