PhD Humanities, Clark Atlanta University

Well, I have some great news to share.  I have relocated back to Georgia and am working at a local university while pursuing my PhD at Clark Atlanta University located in Atlanta, Georgia.  The program is converging from a DAH to a PhD.  I am in the latter program.

I picked this program because it caters specifically to working adults.  I can have a full-time job as well as commute to class, which is one time a week for graduate students.  Also, I can study languages!  My concentration is in Romance Languages.  I will take coursework in Spanish and French on campus, and fill in my coursewrk with courses in Portuguese from other universities. I was accepted as a non-degree student at the University of Georgia after an extensive interview in Portuguese.  However, I was not able to take advantage of the opportunity.  But, it looks like I will be able to make it work elsewhere. I am so excited!

Earlier this year, I was working as college instructor at a small HBCU in North Carolina.  I was told that in order to receive a pay raise I would need to get a PhD.  Our coursework in Spanish did not go past the second year set of classes.  Nevertheless, a PhD was required for upward mobility. Unfortunately, none of the schools in the Charlotte area offered a PhD in what I wanted to study.  So, I looked elsewhere and applied to graduate school back in Georgia and was accepted with funding!

I am also taking a distance learning course from Stephen F. Austin State University in Brazilian Portuguese and teaching four courses.  My commute from work to school is two hours each way, but my department has been very supportive and has allowed me to have a schedule that will make this possible.

If you ever wondered if your dreams can come true, they most certainly can!  I am considering doing a study abroad program to Brazil next summer to help with my fluency.  After taking the graduate course at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth this summer in Portuguese with a professor from Portugal, I am so ready to get into it.

Comments

Popular Posts