MOOCs and Me

I can't stress enough just how important MOOCs have been to me in regards to my research project.  I am a PhD candidate in humanities and I have had to consider using primary sources in areas outside of my area of comfort, such as ethnomusicology, dance, African instrumentation, African dance. It has really been an interesting ride.  No one university can give you everything you need, especially when it comes to your research project, so in order to bridge the gap, I had to commit to researching a broad base of information in a short amount of time, and MOOCs helped me do that, all for free!

What are MOOCs?  
MOOC stands for  massive open online course (MOOC) and they are free Web-based distance learning classes and programs that are designed for the participation of large numbers of geographically dispersed students. A MOOC may be formulated after the traditional college or university course or it  may be less structured.  One of the best characteristics of MOOCs is that they are free or relatively low-cost in comparison to a formal university course.

Coursera offers 3800 Free Online Courses for Unemployed amid ...


 For my research project, I have taken the following courses and I have really enjoyed my experience thus far.

Deciphering Secrets: The Illuminated Manuscripts of Medieval Europe - Coursera

The Spain of Don Quixote - edX



Comments

Popular Posts